The view of San Salvador and our project.

The view of San Salvador and our project.
Taken from our local architect's home. The Temple is 1 inch to the right of the tall apartment building in the center of the photo. Look for the orange tower structure.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

5 Months in El Salvador!

I just put on all these photos below and each posting (because you can only post 4 photos at a time from picasa) went in front of the other. I had hoped they would follow each other. If anyone knows how to rearrange these postings please let me know. I can't figure it out. Otherwise everyone will just have to read the end first! Oh well! I'm sure everyone is smart enough, I'm afraid I am not! I do not want to start over creating the end first......that's too much for my brain! I suppose one is meant to do one posting at a time and not wait so long in between!
Aside from all that, the project continues and we have footings in the temple and the ancillary building going on. The chapel has storm drains and plumbing going in. It's really fun to see all this above ground work and see it change daily. What a priviledge this is to be here!
Jim is very busy and enjoys walking around and around the site. He spends a good part of his time on the phone helping to translate the emails that go back and forth from El Salvador to Utah! I am busy as well and appreciate a computer on site in which to work. Sometimes we don't get home until 7:30 in the evening. That makes it difficult to fix a meal and Jim has to study for seminary the next morning! Jim teaches seminary to 4 Latin youth in English! Just until the end of May. He gets up at 5:30 am!
He could spend 14 hours on the job because they have two shifts of workers. And they work 6 days a week. No P-day for us! We grab whatever time is available or just make time.
We are also involved in hosting acitivities at our little house with investigators and missionaries. I make a lot of desserts! I am getting really good at cooking without all the mixers and gadgets. Thank goodness for our Vita-Mix Jim carried down here in his carry-on! I also help out with cooking at transfers; like 30-45 chicken breasts for hungry elders!
Time is flying.
We are looking forward to Carmen visiting in May and my sister, Karen! We'll take some days off to do some exploring. This is a special little country. It's so undiscovered by tourists. We feel so blessed to be here.
The best part of this last month? The fruits and vegetables. They are amazing and so flavorful. They are picked ripe. The worst? The dust from living in a city with 3 million people. The dust also comes from cooking fires and the burning of sugar cane fields. That's why everyone has a maid. You have to dust everyday! We don't dust every day and we don't have a maid even though they only cost $10-15 a day. We're just looking forward to the rains when the dust is minimal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Elder and Hermana Fenn

Elder and Hermana Fenn
10 Nov 2008 MTC

Self portrait

Self portrait
On site with our "cascos" on. Mine is pink.

Our Backyard

Our Backyard
We chose the casita for the garden